Barbara L. Massoudi, M.P.H., Ph.D., BreathEasy Principal Investigator, RTI International
We're excited to share a quick update now that we're just about at the halfway point in the intervention:
- We've recruited 30 patients who have been actively submitting data through our mobile app for about three months now.
- The patient-generated data is viewed by two types of clinicians participating in the study: family physicians (n=13) and nurses (n=7).
- The nurses review the data at least once a week, but some review more frequently. When they see something that concerns them, the nurses flag the data for additional review by the patient’s physician.
- Twenty-two patients have been in for clinical visits since the intervention phase began, but not necessarily to be seen for their asthma.
- Two patients have received new diagnoses as a result of the intervention.
- Sadly, two of the mobile phones have been stolen to date; one was retrieved and the other is being replaced. We've worked through the appropriate safeguards and reporting processes related to these losses.
Check back next month to learn about the many technical challenges we’ve had that relate to the phones.